Månedsarkiv: april 2014


Sunday April 20 the Dragon capsule docked to the Harmony module of the International Space Station. Today Monday the hatch into the capsule from the ISS will be opened and the cargo unloaded.

SpaceX-3 berthed to stationhttp://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/945_9027.jpg

Preparing ground models

To ensure the scientific credibility of the experiment, ground models of the hardware and cells are prepared. They will be treated the same way as the cells aboard the ISS. Today the team changed the medium in the ground models and were instructed in how to initiate the computer program on earth at the same time as on the ISS.

Changing medium Computer control Panel

Last chance of launch

A new launch date on April 18 is now confirmed. However, the weather forecast only gives a 40 % probability of favorable launch weather. Saturday 19 will be the backup date with a 70 % chance of good weather.

Jesper and I will watch it from Denmark as we left Florida yesterday.

The launch window for the ISS closes on April 22 until June. A new scrubbed launch will therefore mean another two month delay.


Nein, nein, nein

With a perfect view for the launch as part of a VIP delegation we heard the sad news just one hour before launch. Suddenly everyone turned to their phones and the countdown was stopped. Launch is postponed! I have no words! The pics talk for themselves, I think.

web_Cellbox_3646 web_Cellbox_3626 web_Cellbox_3665 web_Cellbox_3702

It has begun

Photo credit: Jesper Rais Photo credit: Jesper Rais Photo credit: Jesper Rais Photo credit: Jesper Rais

The assembling of the hardware has started at 1 am. The boxes need to asembled and then sterilized by pumping water trough it. Thereafter, the serum and cells need to be added before closing the boxes and connecting them to the computer control system.Photo credit: Jesper Rais

Computer breakdown

Yesterday afternoon we learned that currently a backup computer on the ISS is not functioning. Today around noon the decision will be made whether to launch or not on Monday. If it’s postponed again no new launch window will be available before early June. We have no more fingers to cross…